Ski holidays are complicated, so here is a guide to make it simple. There are many alternatives, but here's a suggestion. Contact us if you any questions.
- Book the chalet
- Book flights to Geneva.
- Book car hire (we use Cardelmar or Autoeurope). (A car from the Swiss side of the airport is normally the default option and will come with winter tyres, snow chains and easy access to the motorway). The drive is about 1 1/2 hours.
- Book children's ski lessons at ESI in Megeve, preferably the afternoon lessons or 1-1 lessons with Megeve Mike.
- Travel, settle in to the chalet, and do a big shop at the Internarche in Praz whenever is convenient.
- Rent skis at Rey sports
- Have a fondue at the Bar-Restaurant in Flumet the first night, if you're tired from the journey and don't want to cook.
- Drive to the Mont d'Arbois lift (signposted from the main road in Megeve) the next morning, parking in the inexpensive underground car park, buy your ski pass at the lift station, check you've identified the meeting point for the ESI (turn left as you exit the lift from the car park)
- Head up on the lift to the Mont d'Arbois.
- Travel by train (e.g. loco2 or trainseurope) to Chambery, Albertville or Moutiers. All of these places have car rental - make sure to specify a car with snow tyres ("pneus neige") which is NOT automatic in France.
- Travel by car from England. It's 8 1/2 hours of mostly empty motorway from Calais (Reims-Langres-Nantua-Geneva-Sallanches). You should carry snow chains.
- Ski Espace Diamant instead of Megeve. If you don't want to depend on the car for driving to the lifts, you can use the shuttle bus to les Evettes lift so it makes more sense to rent there at Soquet Sports and leave your skis and boots in their locker overnight.
- You can be completely car free. Some friends of ours have done this and recommend it. Book a train to Albertville, take a bus or taxi to the chalet, ski the Espace Diamant from the lifts at les Evettes using the shuttle bus, rent your skis at the lifts, and leave your skis and boots in the rental shop everynight.
- If you're ski-ing Megeve from the Mont d'Arbois lift, rent your equipment there and leave it at the rental shop overnight so you don't need to have wet skis in the car.
- If you don't want to cook much, eat at the Chalet la Source most nights (excellent meals at EUR 24.50)